Computing at Wickersley Northfield
Computing Statement of Intent
Technology plays an increasingly important role in today’s society. As new technologies are rapidly emerging, it is our intention that all pupils at Wickersley Northfield Primary School have the confidence, understanding and skills necessary in this subject to allow them to thrive within an ever-evolving world of technological advances.
It is our intention that computing lessons will be delivered in all year groups to enhance the children’s learning opportunities across the whole curriculum whilst also developing and ensuring the progression of specific computing skills.
Using Technology to Support Learning Across the Curriculum
Our pupils have access to a number of online programmes to support their learning across the curriculum both in school and at home. Click here to access the following websites:
Essential Characteristics of Computing
At Wickersley Northfield, we intend to develop the following essential characteristics of computing in all pupils:
- Pupils have competence in coding for a variety of practical and inventive purposes including application of ideas within other subjects.
- Pupils have the ability to connect with others safely and respectfully, understanding the need to act within the law and with moral and ethical integrity.
- Pupils have an understanding of the connected nature of devices.
- Pupils have the ability to communicate ideas well by using applications and devices throughout the curriculum.
- Pupils have the ability to collect, organise and manipulate data effectively.
Breadth of Study:
Computing in the National Curriculum
Key Stage One
Key Stage Two
Google Classroom & Remote Learning
At Wickersley Northfield, all pupils have their own Google Account which they can use to access their personal Google Drive and Google Classroom.
We use Google Drive and Google Classroom within school, for homework and to support remote learning.
For help and support, please see the guides below:
Threshold Concepts and Milestones
Key learning milestones at Wickersley Northfield will be taught under the threshold of four different computing concepts:
Code – This concept involves developing an understanding of instructions, logic and sequences.
Connect – This concept involves developing an understanding of how to safely connect with others.
Communicate – This concept involves using apps to communicate one’s ideas.
Collect – This concept involves developing an understanding of databases and their uses.
Long Term Planning
Click here to see the Computing Long Term Planning for each year group: