Art and Design at Wickersley Northfield
Art statement of intent
The intent of our art curriculum is to deliver a curriculum that will maximise the development of every child's ability and achievement in art. Children will learn about different skills and artists and apply this knowledge to impact on their own artwork. They will use sketchbooks to build on skills throughout their time at Wickersley Northfield Primary, using a range of media. It is our intention that children will use and understand art vocabulary. A final piece of artwork will be produced using the skills that they have learnt in a given half term. Some pieces of artwork will be in the style of a studied artist.
Essential characteristics of Art
At Wickersley Northfield, we intend to develop the following essential characteristics of art in all pupils:
- The ability to use visual language skillfully and convincingly (for example, line, shape, pattern, colour, texture, form) to express emotions, interpret observations, convey insights and accentuate their individuality.
- The ability to communicate fluently in visual and tactile form.
- The ability to draw confidently and adventurously from observation, memory and imagination.
- The ability to explore and invent marks, develop and deconstruct ideas and communicate perceptively and powerfully through purposeful drawing in 2D, 3D or digital media.
- An impressive knowledge and understanding of other artists, craftmakers and designers.
- The ability to think and act like creative practitioners by using their knowledge and understanding to inform, inspire and interpret ideas, observations and feelings.
- Independence, initiative and originality which they can use to develop their creativity.
- The ability to select and use materials, processes and techniques skillfully and inventively to realise intentions and capitalise on the unexpected.
- The ability to reflect on, analyse and critically evaluate their own work and that of others.
- A passion for and a commitment to the subject.
Breadth of Study: Art in the National Curriculum
Key Stage One
- Use experiences and ideas as the inspiration for artwork.
- Share ideas using drawing, painting and sculpture.
- Explore a variety of techniques.
- Learn about the work of a range of artists, artisans and designers.
Key Stage Two
- Use experiences, other subjects across the curriculum and ideas as inspiration for artwork.
- Develop and share ideas in a sketchbook and in finished products.
- Improve mastery of techniques.
- Learn about the great artists, architects and designers in history.
Celebration of Art!
Threshold Concepts and Milestones
Key learning milestones at Wickersley Northfield will be taught under the threshold of three different art concepts:
Develop ideas - This concept involves understanding how ideas develop through an artistic process.
Master techniques - This concept involves developing a skill set so that ideas may be communicated (including painting, collage, sculpture, drawing, print, textiles and digital media).
Take inspiration from the greats - This concept involves learning from both the artistic process and techniques of great artists and artisans throughout history.
Long Term Planning
Click here to see the Art & Design Long Term Planning for each year group:
Practise your drawings with the help of Artists!
Pete Mckee's cartoon workshops
Draw cartoons with Sheffield's painter and Artist.
Draw with Rob
Draw pictures with the children's author and illustrator Rob Biddulph.